FV5
Rouyn-Noranda, Delight your senses !
  • Visit us on Facebook
  • Visit us on Instagram
  • Visit us on Facebook
Wednesday, April 14th, 2021

Mont-Brun 

Mont-BrunHistorical background

The raftsmen and lumberjacks of the Canadian International Paper Company (CIP) working near the headwaters of Kinojévis River called this area 'Clay-Rapid' or 'Clay-Hill'. The names referred to a large mound of brown clay near the river, in the northeastern portion of the Cléricy Township. The French form of 'Clay-Hill' was given by Abbé Arthur Nadeau, who founded the parish of Saint-Norbert-de-Mont-Brun in 1936.

In 1937, Saint-Norbert-de-Clay-Hill became Saint-Norbert-de-Mont-Brun.

In 1978, the parish was made a municipality, and in 2002, it became a neighborhood of Ville de Rouyn-Noranda following the amalgamation of all the municipalities of the MRC.

Mont-Brun is the main gateway to Parc national d’Aiguebelle; it welcomes thousands of visitors each year.

Area description

Mont-Brun is one of the neighborhoods situated the farthest from the urban center of Rouyn-Noranda. The heart of Mont-Brun is 44 km northeast of downtown Rouyn-Noranda. The area is marked by the predominance of farming activities and the presence of Parc national d’Aiguebelle, which covers half of its surface area. Rouyn-Noranda’s largest cleared and cultivated lands are found in Montbeillard. The population of Mont-Brun has access to several services at the village, demonstrating the fairly good economic vitality of this neighborhood.

Contact us

Mont-Brun Municipal Office
9992, rang du Berger
Rouyn-Noranda (Québec) J0Z 2Y0
Telephone : 819 797-7110 # 7045
Fax : 819 637-7007


City of Rouyn-Noranda  100, Taschereau Est, C.P. 220, Rouyn-Noranda, QC J9X 5C3 | Phone: 819 797-7110 enveloppe or by email