FV5
Rouyn-Noranda, Delight your senses !
  • Visit us on Facebook
  • Visit us on Instagram
  • Visit us on Facebook
Wednesday, April 14th, 2021

Cléricy 

CléricyHistorical background

Homage was paid to an officer of the Languedoc Regiment, Captain Honoré-Louis de Cléricy, when the same geographic name to designate a community, a lake, a river and a township was proclaimed in 1916.

When the first settlers arrived in the area, much of the township lands had already been deforested. The pulpwood cut by contractors of the CIP was floating south on the Kinojévis River. In 1927, the pulp and paper company built a large supply depot right where the Taschereau - Rouyn railroad track joined the river. This is where the first settlers got off the train, next to a river that flows in cascades. The parish of Saint-Joseph-de-Cléricy was founded in 1935; its name recalls that of the parish of origin of its founders : Saint-Joseph-de-Beauce.

The community, built around the supply depot and the railroad, was named Cléricy. It became a municipality on January 1st, 1978.

When the Whites moved to this area to throw the good luck stone in the magnificent waterfalls of Kinojevis River, the Algonquins were already there, and for quite some time the prospectors’ picks echoed back to the settlers’ axes.

Soon, there were enough of loggers, prospectors and farmers to lie the foundations of a parish.

In its peak years, Cléricy had several stores: general store, a Caisse populaire point of service, a bakery, a meat store, a blacksmith shop, a barber shop, garages, gas stations, a sawmill, a door and window manufacture, a taxi operation, a hotel, a restaurant, etc.

Cléricy had 488 inhabitants in 2002. With the amalgamation of all the municipalities of MRC Rouyn-Noranda, Cléricy became a neighborhood of the new city of Rouyn-Noranda.

Cléricy is renowned for its dynamic population and vibrant cultural life.

Area description

Cléricy is located 30 km northeast of Rouyn-Noranda. It is known for the energy and sprit of mutual help of its community groups and population. Concrete evidence of this is the Balbuzard community center, built collectively by and for the citizens of Cléricy. This neighborhood is part of the northern district of Rouyn-Noranda, together with D'Alembert, Destor and Mont-Brun. The village core of Cléricy stands at the center of the northern district. Cléricy and Mont-Brun share a few services: their elementary students are divided up between their respective schools, and the CLSC nurse of the Cléricy point of service also covers Mont-Brun. The bicycle path of Parc Linéaire (Route verte) between Rouyn-Noranda and Taschereau runs across the northern district and passes straight in the middle of the village.

Contact us

Cléricy Municipal Office
8002-A, rue du Souvenir
Rouyn-Noranda (Québec) J0Z 1P0
Telephone : 819 797-7110 # 2131
Fax : 819 797-7045
 


City of Rouyn-Noranda  100, Taschereau Est, C.P. 220, Rouyn-Noranda, QC J9X 5C3 | Phone: 819 797-7110 enveloppe or by email