FV5
Rouyn-Noranda, Delight your senses !
  • Visit us on Facebook
  • Visit us on Instagram
  • Visit us on Facebook
Wednesday, April 14th, 2021

Cadillac 

CadillacHistorical background

The Cadillac neighborhood bears the name of an officer in the Berry Regiment. Officer de Cadillac fought under the Marquis de Montcalm’s command. The first mining discoveries date back to 1910. This discovery period stretched to the 1930's and led to the coming into production of major mines. 

In 1924, as the mining companies started sinking shaft, the first inhabitants of Cadillac began to arrive. They initially settled near a source of water, north of Road 59 (now Highway 117). These squatters, as they were called, built houses, hotels and stores without the guidance of a master plan or connection to public utilities. The small community is referred to as « Petit Canada » (Small Canada), or Kewagama. In March 1938, the government of the day ordered the inhabitants of Kewagama to relocate to the other side of the road. The community developed around one main street and seven transverse streets, with access to water supply and wastewater infrastructures, electricity and telephone. The population of Cadillac increased steadily until the 1950's.  

The war sapped the community’s capacity and energy, causing mining operation costs to increase. As a result, several mines were forced to close. From 1956 to 1971, life went on in Cadillac thanks to felling contracts awarded by the Canadian International Paper Company (CIP) that kept several hundreds men at work. But in 1971, the CIP logging camps were closed permanently. Between 1961 and 1966, gold mining was replaced by molybdenum mining. The few molybdenum mines closed down in 1970 – 1971, coinciding with the closure of the CIP sawmill. In the midst of an economic crisis, Cadillac set up an emergency committee, and on September 22nd, 1971, the unsuccessful negotiations with the company led to a one-week road blockade.

The fluctuation in the price of gold and the mining activities still impact on the population of Cadillac. The economic upswing in the 1980's was associated with a moderate population increase.

In 2002, the city of Cadillac became a neighborhood of the new city of Rouyn-Noranda.

Cadillac is a gateway to Rouyn-Noranda. Major municipal investments are being made to continue to improve the quality of life of its population.

Contact us

Cadillac Municipal Office
50, rue Gildor-Roy
Rouyn-Noranda (Québec) J0Y 1C0
Telephone : 819 797-7110 # 3606
Fax : 819 797-3607
 


City of Rouyn-Noranda  100, Taschereau Est, C.P. 220, Rouyn-Noranda, QC J9X 5C3 | Phone: 819 797-7110 enveloppe or by email